Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Sunday Spurgeon

Have you not quoted a great many times certain lines about “That undiscovered country from whose borne no traveler returns”? It is not so. There was once a traveler who said that “I go to prepare a place for you, and if I go away I will come again and receive you unto myself; that where I am there ye may be also.” He said, “A little time and ye shall see me, and again a little time and ye shall not see me, and because I go to the Father.” Do you not remember these words of his? Our divine Lord went to the undiscovered country, and he returned. He said that at the third day he would be back again, and he was true to his word. There is no doubt that there is another state for human life, for Jesus has been in it, and has come back from it. We have no doubt as to a future existence, for Jesus existed after death. We have no doubt as to a paradise of future bliss, for Jesus went to it and returned. Though he has left us again, yet that coming back to tarry with us forty days has given us a sure that he will return a second time when the hour is due, and then pledge with us for a thousand years, and reign on earth amongst his ancients gloriously. His return from among the dead is a pledge to us of existence after death, and we rejoice in it.

    No comments: