Thursday, August 02, 2007

John Piper on I-35 Bridge Collapse


John Piper, Senior Pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis offers an insightful commentary on what we can learn from the collapse of the Interstate 35 bridge yesterday.

Here are a couple of quotes:

"The word “bridge” does not occur in the Bible. There may be two reasons. One is that God doesn’t build bridges, he divides seas. The other is that usually his people must pass through the deadly currents of suffering and death, not simply ride over them. “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you” (Isaiah 43:2). They may drown you. But I will be with you in life and death."

"The meaning of the collapse of this bridge is that John Piper is a sinner and should repent or forfeit his life forever. That means I should turn from the silly preoccupations of my life and focus my mind’s attention and my heart’s affection on God and embrace Jesus Christ as my only hope for the forgiveness of my sins and for the hope of eternal life. That is God’s message in the collapse of this bridge. That is his most merciful message: there is still time to turn from sin and unbelief and destruction for those of us who live. If we could see the eternal calamity from which he is offering escape we would hear this as the most precious message in the world."

I encourage you to read the full article here.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, the survivors and their families at this time.

    No comments: