Saturday, October 07, 2006

October Is Pastor Appreciation Month


The folks over at Cadre ministries offer this covenant for church members who want to encourage their pastors during the month of October.

My Covenant with God, One Another and Our Pastor

1. I pray specifically and consistently for our pastor.

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (I Timothy 2:1-2)

2. I give freely of my time, talents and spiritual gifts so that our pastor can direct the affairs of the church—rather than the pastor doing the entire ministry alone.

"The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor…"
(I Timothy 5:17)

3. I give cheerfully and liberally to God to provide for the physical and material needs of our pastor’s family.

"The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain,” and “The worker deserves his wages.” (I Timothy 5:17-18)

4. I refuse to listen to or spread gossip about our pastor.

"Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses." (I Timothy 5:19, See also Proverbs 17:4)

5. I lovingly and privately correct our pastor when there is sin and offer grace on issues of style and preference.

"If a brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over." (Matthew 18:15)

6. I do everything in my power to make sure our pastor flourishes in family relationships (spouse and children).

"If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?" (I Timothy 3:5)

7. I obey and submit to the leadership and oversight of our pastors/elders.

"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you." (Hebrews 13:17)

Used with permission from: Seven Biblical Ways God Wants You to Encourage Your Pastor

    No comments: