Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Help Wanted...Wimps Need Not Apply

Some readers of this humble little blog accuse me of being angry, vindictive, venomous and one reader has even accused me of being a bad dresser! While I plead guilty to the latter, to the former I prefer to see myself as intensely focused. Believe it or not, I am a pretty well-adjusted guy. I rarely sneer and scowl as one comment to a post has said. I love my wife and son. I enjoy a good joke. I drive a mini-van and if you passed me in the mall, you would see not a monster, but a slightly balding guy who could stand to lose a few pounds.

However, I am also a person who deeply cares about the Church in general and the RCA in particular. I was raised in this denomination and have sadly over 40 years seen it erode and decay. Our numbers decline, our influence wanes and the unique contribution we can make to the larger Church has been lost. And while I hope that the leadership of the church understands the situation, I think that we need a new approach.

These blogs are just an attempt to throw out a challenge to a new generation of leaders. These blogs are kind of a HELP WANTED ad. New challenges call for new leadership. What kind of leaders? This excerpt from a article by Doug Giles (I sure you have noticed by now that I am in line with many of his observations) has spoken to me and has roused my from a sometimes self-induced stupor to answer God's call.


"It’s time for courageous Christian men and women to step up to the plate and for all the little tinker pot girlie men to retreat to the stands and sit there with Mummy until the dust clears.

In times of crisis our area of critical need is for leaders who can think widely and deeply, who can lead courageously and bring our great nation and the Church through spiritual obfuscation and demonic debilities. We must resurrect biblical truth, and apply it even-handedly to all of society during these days of decline.

This means Lamb Chop, Kermit and all Evangelical marionettes occupying pulpits and pews must sit down and hush because the times demand prophets.

We need prophets who could care less about:
· Political Correctness
· Style over Substance
· What the Masses and Wusses are Yapping for
· Being Popular

My ClashPoint is this: I’m not a doom and gloomer. It is not as if we are approaching the end of civilization’s road; it’s not even the beginning of the end. Most likely, it is the end of the beginning … who knows where we stand from an eschatological view point? However, I do know where we stand from an ecclesiastical and missiological point of view. We stand where we have always been supposed to stand, as the pillar of truth who proclaim it publicly and globally, applying it fully to all of life.

And guess what, Church? Just as Ringo said, “You know it don’t come easy.”

Come on... we don’t need anymore nicety-nice clergy in charge of churches that don’t equip us to face the real issues confronting our church and culture. We can do without spineless crowd pleasers, can’t we? We really do not need narcissistic, solipsistic, pseudo saints. What we need are prophets, stalwart sons and daughters who will speak and defend truth, freedom and human rights in the face of atheism, lies and hellbent special interest groups!"

You can read the full article here:

www.townhall.com/columnists/douggiles/dg20041030.shtml

I would be interested in hearing from other like-minded souls who are ready to take up this challenge.

For His Glory!

No comments: